Home Network Security is one of the things that we are always counseling our clients on at Code Blue Computing.
Just because your computers and your technology reside in your home doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t do our due diligence as far as our safety and home network security are concerned. The fact is that an un-secure home network will give a hacker access to your computer, your webcam, and the video camera in your child’s nursery. This is serious, serious stuff.
How Can You Protect Your Family?
1. Nursery Camera’s and Webcams. Register the camera to make sure that you receive firmware updates. Change the password right away. Disable your webcam or turn it off when not in use. If your webcam is built in, put a piece of black tape over the lens so prying eyes cannot see.
2. Encrypt Sensitive Data on Your Devices. Encrypt data that you don’t want anyone else to see. Financial records, customer files, etc. There are some really cool tools that have come out on the consumer side to help with this. One example would be the Enigma Personal Encryption Device. A thumbdrive device that will protect you are your data and economically to boot.
3. Router Security. Take the steps to protect your family and beef up your home network security by changing the router name, giving it a strong password, and many people are unaware that you can actually cloak your router so that people cannot see your device without the password.
4. Setup a Guest Network for Friends and Family to Use. Remember when your Mom would tell you don’t pick that up, you don’t know where that has been. Think of other peoples devices in exactly the same way. This protects your home network from any viruses the may download and will prohibit the guests from accessing your other devices on the Network.
5. Use a Firewall. A Firewall is an additional layer of home network security that we think should be deployed in each and every network whether it be business or home. You are going to get a log of traffic history, and are a very effective way to curb attacks in an economical way.
The truth of the matter is that cyber crime has become a billion dollar a year problem. Many times because we have our devices everywhere we forget that it is imperative that we use them is a safe way. Whether it is our home or business network we must protect ourselves, our children, and our customers.
Code Blue Computing is a Broomfield, Colorado based I.T. Support firm that supports businesses and home users. If you have any questions on how to make sure your network is secure you can call 720-746-9763 or send an email to www.codebluecomputing.com.