Are Mac’s Immune to Computer Viruses?
The short answer is Nope!
We talk to customers everyday that believe that because they have a Mac that they are immune to computer viruses and do not need any anti virus software at all. This simply is not the case. Why is it that there is this belief that Mac’s are immune to computer viruses?
The myth in part was fueled because years ago Mac’s were not being targeted because the market share was extremely small and not worth an attackers time. Apple itself at the time even asserted through it’s “I’m a Mac” ad campaigns that Mac’s were immune to computer viruses. In 2012 Apple removed its claim on its website that Macs were immune to computer viruses when 600,000 users were affected with the Flashback Trojan Virus. The number was equal to 1% of all Mac users at the time.
If you remember the “I’m a Mac” ad campaigns, there was one specifically that showed the PC guy sick with the “flu” while the Mac was untouched. It is absolutely true that Mac’s cannot get a virus written to attack a PC. However there are viruses written to attack Mac’s and those specific viruses will and do affect Mac users.
Mac’s are increasing in popularity year after year. Guess what this has meant? It means that the people who write computer viruses are now writing more and more specifically to wreck havoc on the Mac user.
As a Mac user what actions steps should we take?
- First and foremost, purchase a good Anti Virus software specifically for Macs. There are a lot of great products on the market we are happy to help you sift through to find the right product for you.
- Set up a Firewall. Most of the anti virus product for Mac’s don’t have Firewall protection. However, a Firewall is a great added layer of protection by helping to control the data flowing to and fro your computer.
- Install a good Parental Control and Monitoring Software on your Mac. The fact of the matter the types of sites that kids gravitate to are prime material for attackers online and offline alike.
- Never, ever click on links in suspicious emails.
- Set up two factor authentication as well as a strong password in your iCloud account.
So one and for all, the question are Mac’s immune to computer viruses has been answered. They are not invincible and Mac users should take proactive steps to protect themselves.
If you want to learn more about protecting your Mac from computer viruses please call the office at 720-746-9763.
Code Blue Computing is an I.T. Service and Support firm headquartered in Broomfield, Colorado that specializes in Residential and Business Clients. They provide computer repair and virus removal services in Superior, Broomfield, Boulder, Lafayette, Louisvile, Erie, and Longmont, as well as remotely throughout the United States.
They were named the 2014 Emerging Business of the Year by the Broomfield Chamber of Commerce.